Saturday, February 20, 2016

Science Where? It's all over at the BDMS Science Fair!

     Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to the BDMS Science Fair. I have never seen any Science fair with that magnitude or work and effort. I was supposed to be there volunteering as an interviewer but the interviews went more efficiently than expected so I had the time to read each and every science fair project that was in the gym. I chose a few of my favorites to reflect on here.
     My all time favorite one there was titled "Tasty Dough." This project, pictured below, was my favorite because it was relevant, useful, fun, and creative. The students had blind taste testers try cookies and pick their favorite one. The only difference between the three cookies were how long the dough was refrigerated before the cookies were baked. The three batches were baked one right after the dough was made, the second batch 1 hour after the dough was made, and the third batch 24 hours after the dough was made. The blind tastiest revealed that cookies taste better when the dough is refrigerated 24 hours before baking.
     The following two projects are ones that I thought were the best as far as presentation. These projects clearly showed neatness, organization, time, effort, professionalism, and attention to detail. With the first project I loved the contrast, pictures, depth, clothespins, clear and large print, and model  lever arm (right of the poster) they had presented. The second project, I liked because of the materials they had laid out in front of the poster to model what they used and the test they preformed. I also liked all the photos they used. My only wish for that project was that they had printed, not hand written, their text aspects. 
   
     I was talking with Mrs. Foster-Faith about how amazing this science fair was. She was telling me how most schools do away with them because of the amount of work needed and that she in fact began work with the students on their projects in November. This was my "big learning" from attending the science fair: the work put is in enormous, however, the amount of student learning that came from this is even more enormous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment